Representative John A. Torbett
The Peoples’ House
North Carolina General Assembly
John and his Wife of 31 years reside in Stanley, NC
East Ridge High School, Class of 74
Middle Tennessee State University, 75-77
In the late 70’s John built single-family homes and commercial properties and received his real estate license from the State of Tennessee.
He began his professional career in the corrugated converting industry in 1978. With 25 years in the industry spanning from Tennessee, Arkansas, to North Carolina with service in all southeastern states, Latin American, and Asian countries. He worked as a Layout and Design Specialist, Material Management Specialist, Production Mgr., Sales Mgr., Plant Mgr., Senior Technical Consultant, CEO, and retirement.
John is a past member of the following Nat’l and International Associations:
- Technical Association of Pulp and Paper Institute (T.A.P.P.I.)
- International Association of Diemakers and Diecutters (I.A.D.D.)
- Association of Independent Corrugated Converters (A.I.C.C.)
In 2003 John accepted a position as Vice President of Business Development for Defense Technologies Inc., a US Department of Defense Contractor specializing in Command and Control Software Development for Unmanned Air, Ground, Sea and Sub Surface Systems, and Equipment Life Extension of avionic and weapon systems where he was able to blend a lifelong interest in military history and aviation with over the horizon technological advancements to aid and assist US warfighters. John played an essential role in DTI receiving a coveted and exceptional Experimental Aircraft Certification with active operational airspace within National Air Space (NAS) from the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
In 2010 John accepted the position of Vice President of Business Development for NextWave Technologies. NextWave applies advanced technologies in such areas as the US Department of Defense, US Department of Agriculture, US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and Global Commercial markets in such areas as Unmanned System Applications, Sensor Technologies, Energy, Security, and develops and enables advanced technologies to a wide array of future growth sectors of Global importance.
John and his wife are also property investors and rehabilitators. A hard but relaxing hobby he acquired early in his career as a Home Builder.
John serves as a supporting member of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.
John and his wife support numerous civic and non-profit organizations that benefit fellow citizens.
Elected Public Service:
In December of 2001 John became a candidate for The Gaston County Board of Commissioners representing the Riverbend Township. In 2002 the citizens of Gaston County elected John by a 2 to 1 margin to become their Riverbend Township Commissioner. He was re-elected in November 2006 by a similar margin and completed his eight years term of service honorably in December 2010.
John was unchallenged in the 2010 and 2012 Primary and General Election and currently serves as Representative of The Peoples’ House District 108 in the North Carolina General Assembly which encompasses most of Eastern Gaston County. John’s committee work spans a myriad of complex issues and needs where he applies his strength and focus to the people of the 108th district and North Carolina.
- Vice Chairman – Appropriations
- Chairman – Appropriations Sub Committee on Transportation
- Chairman – Joint Legislative Transportation Oversight Committee
- Vice Chairman – Commerce and Job Development
- Chairman – Commerce and Job Development Sub Committee on Military and Agriculture
- Homeland Security, Military, and Veterans Affairs
- Joint Legislative Committee on Local Government
- 2 Term Chairman - 9th U.S. Congressional District
- 2 Term Chairman - Gaston County Republican Party
- Republican National Committee Member
- NC Republican Party Central Committee Member
- NC Republican Party Executive Committee Member
- Gaston County 2002 Republican of the Year
- Chairman - 2001 NC Republican Party Resolutions Committee
- 9th U.S. Congressional District Committee Member
- Gaston County Republican Party Member
- Gaston County Republican Men’s Club Member
- Gaston County Republican Women’s Club Associate Member
- Gaston County Young Republican’s Associate Member
- Gaston County College Republican’s Associate Member
- Gaston County Teenage Republican’s Associate Member
- County Coordinator - Dole for Senate
- Local Coordinator - Burr for Senate
- Area Advisor to Rep. Patrick McHenry
- Past President – Stanley Athletic Association
- Stanley Athletic Advisory Board Appointed Member
- Past President - Kiser Elementary School PTO
- Past Two Term President - Stanley Middle School PTO
- Coached t-ball, softball, and basketball for 14 years for the Stanley Dept. of Parks and Recreation and is still involved in the town’s recreation programs as time allows.
- Volunteered as “The Voice of the East Gaston High School Warriors” football and basketball programs
- Volunteered as “The Voice of the Stanley Optimists Blue Devils” Pop Warner football program.
- Various additional Boards and Committees